Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mark Salzman

Woo-hoo! Author event tonight. The Chautauqua series here in the Rogue Valley brings in three authors each year for a few days. The guest does a workshop with teachers, another directed toward students, and a public event.

I just started going to these things this year. The first event I attended was the public reading with Tobias Wolff. Marvelous. For the second one, a teacher friend recruited me to drive some students from her AP English and Creative Writing classes to the workshop with the Dickman brothers, identical twin poets. Again, amazing.

Tonight's event is the public session with Mark Salzman. My book club has been gearing up for this since November. At first we said we would all read his memoir Lost in Place, but some of us fell off that particular wagon and picked up different titles instead. I read True Notebooks, his memoir about working with young writers in a juvenile detention facility, and The Soloist, Saltzman's Pulitzer-nominated novel about a cello prodigy who has outgrown his giftedness. Now I'm off to soak up some of that awesome author glow.

No comments:

Post a Comment